Review: Part of Your World by Abby Jimenez

 



This book should be called Romeo & Juliet Get a Happy Ending


This book is amazing. I smiled and laughed and squeed my way through the entire thing. I may have even cried once or twice. I have nothing to nitpick about it. Absolutely nothing. The premise was unique and the plot was compelling. The characters were fantastic from top to bottom. The dialogue is some of the best I’ve read. The pacing was perfection. And it totally puts the “com” in “rom-com”. It was SO funny I was dying. 


I’m in awe of how Abby Jimenez makes writing characters with such depth and humanity look so effortless. So much of the book is normal romcom romance and angst and relationship drama but she elevates the whole genre when she works in topics like privilege, status, grace, kindness, and integrity. It also deals with the heavy topics of emotional abuse and domestic violence in a smart and sensitive way.  That’s part of what makes this book so special. 


This is a dual perspective story which is usually not my preference but I actually really loved getting to access both Alexis and Daniel’s experiences. Individually, they’re both lovely and interesting people. I love that Alexis is an ER doctor. That she chose one of the most challenging, least glamorous specialties in medicine tells us a lot about her character. And Daniel is a genuinely good dude. Full stop cinnamon roll perfection right here. He’s a man who’s not afraid to tell a woman how he feels or let others see it. He loves animals, cares for his friends, and treats others with respect. Not a whiff of toxic masculine bullshit. Top notch book boyfriend material. There’s no way you can not root for these two. 


I loved this book right from the beginning but it just kept getting better and better and better. It was such a pleasure to read. There’s so much about it that’s wonderful! It’s the first by Abby Jimenez that I’ve read but it will not be the last. I’m so impressed with her writing, I will definitely be delving into her back catalog ASAP and preordering this one for my bookshelf. (This is already a contender for my Best Of 2022 list.) And I am so looking forward to reading Bri’s story!! I would like to formally request another about how Alexis’ brother Derek got together with his wife Lola. Take my money now please.


Preorder this now, you won’t regret it! 

Pub date: April 19, 2022


82,457 stars out of 5


Thank you to NetGalley and Forever/Grand Central Publishing for granting my wish and providing the digital ARC. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Custom Funko Pop Tutorial

Red White & Royal Blue the Collector’s Edition by Casey McQuiston

Magic & Nature in A Marvellous Light