Pub Day! If This Gets Out

 I’m so excited for everyone to get their hands on this wonderful book! It’s Pub Day for If This Gets Out by Sophie Gonzales and Cale Dietrich. It’s one of my favorite books of this year. You can find my GR review for it here (and also below, keep scrolling down) but if you like romance, behind-the-scenes style stories, and amazing characters, do yourself a favor and get this book! I can’t wait till mine gets here! *peeks out the window to watch for the delivery truck* 🚚 👀 





Some highlights, themes and topics:

🎤  Queer YA / MLM romance
🎤  Friendships
🎤  Celebrity Boy band
🎤  Coming out story 
🎤  Finding your voice

It’s a beautiful and impactful story told with emotion and humor. Every character is wonderful and you’ll be rooting so hard for Zach and Ruben.


Full GR review below:

I really loved this book. It lived up to everything I’d hoped it would be. It’s the first I’ve read from either of the authors and I am impressed. The writing is excellent - it kept me turning pages right from the beginning. The characters are well drawn and interesting. I was all in before I was halfway through the first chapter.

Ruben and Zach are members of a popular boy band and the book starts off with a detailed moment-by-moment description of Ruben’s concert performance experience. It actually feels like you’re getting a behind the scenes peek at how giant music industry machinery works. 

I loved all four of the band members. They’re funny and smart and like-able but, most importantly, they’re believable as 18 year olds. The book’s POV switches back and forth between Ruben and Zach, but we get to know all four guys who are each dealing with their own struggles. They are the sweetest guys and I really love the relationships they have with one another. The group dynamics are great, even when they’re not exactly getting along. 

A lot of the book is about the guys discovering the downsides of fame. It definitely shows the sad reality of what it’s like being a celebrity and living life in a fishbowl. Their record label and management group completely own them, their parents aren’t giving them the support they need, and they’re all dealing with being in that weird gray area that many 18 yr olds find themselves in of wanting to be fully independent but only being partly capable of it.

To complicate matters, Zach and Ruben have started dating. So of course this presents yet another area of their lives where their management has more say in the matter than they do. The marginalization they experience is insidious and disgusting. You can’t help but root for them as they try to gain some semblance of control over their lives and learn just how difficult it can be to stand up for yourself.

Tl;dr - the book is smart and funny with great characters, a great story, great themes, and excellent writing. The intimate scenes (beyond kissing) are all closed door/FTB. Highly recommend this one, for teens and adults alike. I think the angst and drama is highly relatable for a younger crowd. And the story and writing are strong enough to please an older crowd. I loved it, I’m so glad I requested it. I am definitely getting this one for my shelf.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 5 stars out of 5

Thanks to NetGalley and St Martins Press for the eGalley.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Custom Funko Pop Tutorial

Red White & Royal Blue the Collector’s Edition by Casey McQuiston

Magic & Nature in A Marvellous Light