Early review: The Perfect Crimes of Marian Hayes by Cat Sebastian

The Perfect Crimes of Marian Hayes
by Cat Sebastian 

Pub date: June 7, 2022


 Cat Sebastian has such a way with words, her writing never ceases to impress me. The writing is tight, engaging and highly entertaining. And the romance was rather unorthodox but I really liked that about it. 

This is the follow-up to Kit Webb which I have not read yet (but is on my TBR)… The book can stand well enough on its own without having read Kit Webb first but I do feel like I missed the meaning of several references and didn’t understand some conversations that I would like to have been clued in on. I think this will be a very rewarding reading experience for Kit Webb fans.


It starts out with the most hilarious epistolary (and antagonistic) back-and-forth between highwayman Rob and duchess Marian. They are equals in every way but in social standing. Their banter is so good and Rob is like a feminist Robin Hood. I am here 👏🏼 for 👏🏼 it 👏🏼 (Also… “Rob”? “Marian”? Stealing from the rich, giving back to the poor. I like it.😏)


Clever characters, irreverence, and disdain for the privileged upper classes are a few of the things I’ve come to expect from Cat Sebastian and this is has all of that. The colorful, well-drawn characters and fantastic dialogue were my favorite aspects of the book. Overall I think this is a really well done enemies to lovers trope and a very fun read.


Tropes and other relevant info:

  • historical romance (M/F)
  • enemies to lovers 
  • slow burn
  • forced proximity 
  • only one bed
  • grumpy/sunshine 
  • cinnamon roll hero
  • two bisexual protagonists 

⭐️ 4 stars out of 5 ⭐️


Thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins/ HarperVoyager for providing the digital arc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red White & Royal Blue the Collector’s Edition by Casey McQuiston

Custom Funko Pop Tutorial

Magic & Nature in A Marvellous Light