Funko Pop Alert! Custom pops for Weather Girl


I've been inspired again to Pop-ify a fave couple - twice in one month is a record, I think! I just loved Rachel Lynn Solomon's new book Weather Girl and its characters so much that I needed to have them on my shelf! 

{{If you're not familiar with the premise, Ari is a meteorologist and Russell is a sports reporter for the local Seattle TV station, KSEA Channel 6.}}

Below you can see the mock-ups I made for both Ari and Russell, showing the Pops I used for head and body (and in Russell's case, glasses). 
 


I think they came together pretty well. I was lucky to already have the spare glasses from having used the Felicity pop's body for Stella from The Kiss Quotient. 

Ari's boots are a big hot mess. I ordered a couple different pairs of Barbie boots but decided to give it a go using paint first, since the boots hadn't arrived when I started working on the pops. I piled on thick yellow paint and built them up around her legs, but the paint job is not a smooth one. I did what I could, not having much talent at either painting or at sculpting. I, of course, added the cute puffy white clouds as seen on the cover. But I still might see how the little boots work out once they arrive. TBD.


I decided to use a body that had Russell holding a mug as if he were hanging around the station on a workday. And of course he would have a KSEA6 mug, right? I created some logos (you can see the one I used below) and printed them out, cut them out, and glued on the one I liked best. It worked beautifully.

(If anyone wants to make their own Russ & Ari, and your Russ is also holding a mug, feel free to use my logo if you like.)


So there they are. What do you think? 3 or 4 hours of work but so worth it. I love them! 

If anyone out there ever wants to try to make your own custom pops, I'd be glad to share my tips. Just drop me a line!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red White & Royal Blue the Collector’s Edition by Casey McQuiston

Custom Funko Pop Tutorial

Magic & Nature in A Marvellous Light